Saving Energy: Heating & Air Conditioning
Maintaining Your Systems – Air Conditioners
With good maintenance, your air conditioner should last about 15 years. You can keep your system running efficiently with these easy tips:
- Check all hose connections for leaks, and make sure the condensate tube is draining freely.
- Change or clean the furnace filter once a month. This is especially important during the summer when dust and allergens circulate.
- Clean the outside compressor by spraying it with a hose.
- Keep plantings at least one foot away for adequate airflow around the entire unit.
- Vacuum registers and air vents regularly.
- Have your duct work professionally cleaned every few years.
- Keep furniture and drapes away from registers.
- During the winter, keep the compressor covered and remove window air conditioners.
While you’re working around your air conditioner, be sure to shut off the power at the service panel before you start.
It’s also important to have your air conditioning system inspected by a service technician. A $50-$100 annual tune-up can reduce your cooling costs by five percent.